In the last years we have had some requests about our plans for ReportPro.
Many people have told us that they really like ReportPro, but it could use some improvements and its UI could use some "modernization".
We have also considered adjusting ReportPro, so it will be able to process (converted) FoxPro reports.
We are going to introduce several new features while maintaining the previous compatibility as much as possible.

We have been in contact with Italian developers that want to work on this.

At this moment, we would like to know the size of the community and what you are looking for.

We have added a "Poll" to our Forum with some questions and a list of changes that we want to make.

Please click here and leave a reply with your answers.

Comments (0 Comments)

Today we have released an installer (for our FOX subscribers) for XSharp Cahors which contains some fixes for problems reported with X# 2.14, and some new features.

The what's new document describing all the changes can be found here:

XSharp 2.15 what's new
Popular 614.06 KB

There is NO public release 2.15 planned.

Comments (6 Comments)

A short message with our progress this month.

As you can expect, we're hard at work for X# 3. This is planned for the end of this Quarter.

However, we will also release a new build 2.15 (for subscribers only). This build will contain several bug fixes and also some new features. The most prominent new feature will be that we have added our own X# expression evaluator to the Visual Studio debugger.
This means that expressions in the intermediate window but also the watch window and breakpoint conditions can be 100% X# expressions. Identifiers are case INsensitive, you can call X# functions, refer to locals, globals, dynamic memory variables, even to fields in the current workarea, or when you use the AREA->FIELD syntax to any open workarea.
This was a major piece of work, but we're very happy to announce this.
Due to technical requirements, this will only work with Visual Studio 2019 and later. We will still support VS 2017 with build 2.15 (withoiut the new expression evaluator), but that will be the last build in which VS 2017 is supported.

Starting with X# 3 we will no longer support VS2017. So it is now time to upgrade!

Something else that you can expect is a “make over” of the X# website. We're using Joomla 3 for the website at this moment.
This product is “end of life” by the end of this year. We're moving the website over to Joomla 4 and will make some changes to the template and some of the components that we have used.

Comments (11 Comments)

Until now, we have told you that X# 3.0 will be for .Net next and that X# 3.0 will be the next release after 2.15.
Some of you have told us that you think .Net next is less important than some other things that we have on our to-do list.

We have discussed this and decide to listen and change our priorities.
Not that .Net next is very difficult w.r.t. the compiler and runtime, but full support inside Visual Studio takes a bit longer than we expected.

We will therefore work on several other things first that many of you have asked for:

  • RDD on top of SQL (through Ado.Net)
  • Client/Server RDD, where the server connects to the database, and the client can only access the data through the server (like Advantage does).
    The server could then use normal DBF files, but also a single user SQL database, like SQLite or a normal SQL database.
  • Completion of the Unicode/AnyCPU GUI and SQL classes for VO users,
  • Completion of the converter and runtime classes for FoxPro users,

Our original plan to drop support for Visual Studio 2017 after X# 2.15 is still in place. In the build after X# 2.15 we will deliver a VSIX file with the Visual Studio integration as we have in X# 2.15 that you can keep using with VS 2017.
New development in the Visual Studio integration will be for Visual Studio 2019 and later.

The upcoming build 2.15 is being tested in the team. We expect to release it to our beta testers next week. Hopefully we can release this “Carnival build” to our subscribers in around the 20th of February..


Comments (18 Comments)

With pain in our heart, we have decided to cancel the planned X# Summit in Austin, March 2023.
The number of registrations so far is so low that we cannot take the financial risk of organizing the event.

We will see if we can organize an event to replace it, maybe "virtual".
We will keep you posted through this website.

Comments (2 Comments)